Monday, September 14, 2015

Meet Matt

Hello. I am Matt Mitrovich. I am of Serbian, Irish, German and Austrian descent and grew up on the south side of Chicago. Although baptized in the Serbian Orthodox church, I am a practicing Catholic, but have always had a passion about learning from other religions and cultures. Part of this is because of my own diverse family, who I enjoy spending time with. The importance of family is something my parents and grandparents have worked hard to instill in me and I hope I can teach the same values to my children.

As a child and teenager I attended Annunciata Elementary School and Marian Catholic High School. During that time I participated on various sports team and was a member of the local Boy Scout troop, where I earned the rank of Eagle Scout. Later I majored in history at Bradley University and minored in business administration and political science. After deciding teaching wasn't for me, I studied the law at The John Marshall Law School and became a licensed attorney in 2010. Currently I work as a Conflict Attorney at Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, an international law firm based in Chicago.

I met my wife Alana during my freshman year at Bradley University. Although I am not a believer in "love at first sight", I nevertheless felt that Alana was someone special. She was smart, pretty and passionate about her beliefs. I never met anyone who I felt so comfortable with or someone who I enjoyed having an argument about politics, religion or pop culture. I have known Alana for eleven years and I have never regretted a single moment.

When not working or spending time with my wife and family, I ride my bike, write, blog, make videos for YouTube, record podcasts with friends and study alternate history, the literary genre where authors create settings based on scenarios where history as we know it takes a different path. It has been a passion of mine and just this year I traveled to Britain to present a paper on the topic at the University of Liverpool.

I have experienced a lot in my short life, but there is one more thing I want try out: being a dad. I want to share experiences with someone who is new to our world. I want to watch my favorite movies with someone who is seeing them for the first time. I want to bring back the magic of holidays and name the stars of the night sky. I want to read stories to someone as they drift off to sleep. I am not a perfect person, but I would like the chance to at least try to be a good father.

No comments:

Post a Comment